Saturday, January 3, 2009

No army does not = no guns

(Disclaimer: I hope this post doesn't scare anyone. I feel completely safe, and it's just a funny thing I've noticed. Mom, I'm fine, don't worry.)

Other than its beautiful beaches and pristine rain forests, one of Costa Rica's unique traits is that it has no standing army. Apparently fed up with the violence of its civil war in 1948, the government disbanded the military, and declared itself officially neutral. Apparently this has worked, as, unlike its neighbors, Costa Rica has not suffered a civil war since.

One thing I've noticed during my first day and a half here, however, is that no military does not equal no guns. We've seen plenty of police on the streets (and that's not a bad thing, they're helpful enough and not entirely intimidating, actually seeming to make people feel safer), but there are a lot of private gun owners, too. More interestingly, a lot of shops have private, often undercover security guards. "That guy was definitely strapped," Avalon observed after we walked past one cafe with a burly man standing guard outside.

The most extreme example so far, however, would have to be the guy standing outside a gas station as we were hailing a cab back to our hotel last night. He spotted one for us, and asked if we wanted it. Completely helpful, friendly, and nice--if you can get over the large rifle he had slung over his shoulder.

For more background, check out this article from one of my co-workers (well, I technically start Monday) at the Tico Times. And again, Mom, if you're reading this, don't worry about me. While I've heard some horror stories about crime in San Jose, I've felt really safe so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment