Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Did I mistime my European vacation?


Via NYTimes's Frugal Traveler, who took a 3-month European "Grand Tour" last year:



One year ago, the dollar was in the dumps. ... Today, however, a long European vacation is, in relative terms, far more affordable. The exchange rate is hovering around $1.35 to the euro, not necessarily because the United States economy has gained strength but because the global financial crisis has weakened the Continent’s currencies. Were I planning the trip today, I’d be in much better shape.

So, was my timing bad? Nah. My trip was "only" a month, and I got to visit my sister when she was studying abroad in Copenhagen. I wouldn't have missed that for the world.

It also helps when the parents are coming, too, and helping foot the bill. Thanks again, Mom and Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment