Wednesday, April 22, 2009

If you must go to Jaco...

While we only spent a couple hours there Sunday, Jaco was pretty much what I expected--hot, dusty, and not the least bit charming. To be fair, we didn't go to the beach at all, and I would have liked to take some surf lessons there, but we ran out of time. I understand its appeal in having a built-up surf and tourist infrastructure (if you're into hotel towers and condos instead of small boutique inns) and being only a couple hours away, but I wouldn't recommend it for the top your itinerary.



If you're in Jaco for whatever reason or another, however, be sure to check out Taco Bar. On Sunday, we were stuck deciding between a soda and a Subway, but wandering down the streets, past the myriad surf shops and blatantly overpriced eateries, we found the open-air Taco Bar around a corner. Its prices were reasonable (4,400 colones, or a little less than $8) for either a heaping burrito or two tacos, along with free reign at the salad bar. Filling options include chicken, fish and seafood--both Avalon and I went with the mahi and were not disappointed. Niether was my appetite, as I was almost full already from the burrito before I even attempted to tackle the salad bar. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

1 comment:

  1. Taco Bar also has a great seared tuna steak that is HUGE.

    Also while in Jaco -- which, along with Puerto Viejo, has some of the best culinary offerings in the country -- I cannot recommend enough Caliche's Wishbone. While the prices are steeper ($10 - 12 for my favorite dishes) the Tuna Poky is one of the best meals in the entire country, hands down, and the tofu salad with viniagrette is amazing (and I'm not even a vegetarian, or a fan of salads-as-meals).

    Also, I (Heart) Sushi, which is on the highway coming in to town, is the best sushi in all of Costa Rica, and believe me, I have sampled many far and wide. Prices are reasonable, and they sell homemade brownie-style cookies.

    And my final consejo: head south, round the bend, and as you drop into Playa Hermosa, hit up the Jungle Surf Cafe on your right for the best fish tacos i have ever had.

    What Jaco may lack in touristic charm it makes up for in its selection of eateries (and I haven't even mentioned Lemon Zest or Dragon on the Bohio).

    ReplyDelete